A Little Bit of Danger: Arches National Park

August 26, 2018 (Sunday)
by Christian

We woke up in Montrose, Colorado and got dressed and ready for church. Then we drove two hours to Grand Junction, Colorado where we went to church. After that, we changed and drove another hour to Arches National Park.

We drove up a winding road and all around us was desert and cliffs and canyons. We stopped at a couple lookouts. Then we parked and walked to Double Arch. It was really rocky and just after the second arch was a sheet drop-off. Yikes!! I climbed all over the rocks. The weather was super-duper windy because a storm was blowing in. My mom was afraid the wind was going to blow me off the sheer drop-off. But only hurricane wind could blow me off - not this wind. After Double Arch, we walked to the other side of the parking lot to the Windows section. We didn't stay really long because there was so much wind and it was blowing sand in our faces. I almost left my sunglasses in the bathroom there but then I remembered.

Double Arch

Inside Double Arch

Next, we drove to Delicate Arch. The wind stopped and it was pretty cool there. The hike to Delicate Arch (3 miles) was great! There was some shadows and some sun. The hike was a little hard. It was on a dirt trail and big rocks. There was cliffs with drop offs and tons of sand. We walked and walked and walked. There were some parts with no path really but I saw some stones to lead us to the arch. Grandpa didn't see the stones and almost went another way. When we got to the arch, it was crazy! I liked it a lot. My mom was nervous and didn't want me to go to the arch at first because it's kind of on a cliff. She said I could go if I held someone's hand the whole time. I told everyone that I liked a little bit of danger!

Delicate Arch

Standing beside Delicate Arch

Our last stop was Fiery Furnace. The sign said it wasn't named that because it was hot. It was named that because of the color of the rocks - they were really red. After that, we drove to our hotel in Moab for the night. 

Fiery Furnace



Comments

Popular Posts